Tuesday 15 September 2015

Modern Day Samaritan Woman

A Test in Obedience – 31 Days

Head Covering / Prayer Room / Facing Giants

Day 5 – 6: WHITE NOISE/DISTRACTION



This period fell over a Friday and Saturday and I discovered that my weekends are clearly overfilled with things to complete and accomplish. (Everything that does not get done during the week has to be done during the weekends). This is definitely something I will also have to address at some point. But, for now between my various chores and to do list, I also have to visit with my mother in the Home for Alzheimer’s and ensure that all her needs are met for the week to follow.

I found it difficult to fit prayer time into this time frame and when I did manage I found myself to be distracted by all sorts of harmless but never the less disruptive distractions.

Now that I have set my mind on this challenge of intentional focus in prayer for 31 days, I have found that the smallest sound like a baby crying is distracting for me. I tend to listen to the baby cry with half an ear while trying to pray, even though I know that she is with her mother and quite alright, I still listen.

In addition, the various voices in my head (don’t all woman have them) also prove to be a hindrance. Voices, reminding me to check that the cat is outside, to remember to close the laundry room window and make sure that my car is locked for the night, all vied for my attention as I prayed. This scripture came to mind and I understood better what it meant to take my thoughts captive.

2 Corinthians 10:5[Inasmuch as we] refute arguments and theories and reasoning’s and every proud and lofty thing that sets itself up against the [true] knowledge of God; and we lead every thought and purpose away captive into the obedience of Christ (the Messiah, the Anointed One),” AMP (Emphasis my own)

The message translation translates it this way. 2 Corinthians 10: 5- 6 “… We use our powerful God-tools for smashing warped philosophies, tearing down barriers erected against the truth of God, fitting every loose thought and emotion and impulse into the structure of life shaped by Christ. Our tools are ready at hand for clearing the ground of every obstruction and building lives of obedience into maturity. 
(Emphasis my own)

Another distraction I encountered was my dogs that share my room with me. They usually lie around, stretched over my bed in various poses of dozing, but for some reason, tended to become quite playful and animated as soon as I put my bible and notes aside and knelt down to begin praying. My dogs have also noticed that I cover my head while praying, and as I attempted to pray, knelt , beside my bed they decided it was the perfect time to attack my head and play with the scarf fringes and knots…Chasing them away and swatting them with my hands only made the game more attractive to them… *sigh*

It’s interesting for me that I had never noticed these things before. I have been praying for many years already and yet, for the first time I am becoming aware of the need for a prayer room, (prayer closet), private quiet area in which to pray.

Matthew 6:6“Here’s what I want you to do: Find a quiet, secluded place so you won’t be tempted to role-play before God. Just be there as simply and honestly as you can manage. The focus will shift from you to God, and you will begin to sense his grace. The Message (Emphasis my own)

Spiritual Lesson :
In order to be more focused and less distracted I need to create a private place in which to pray.
 My family (and pets) need to know not to interrupt me when I enter my prayer “closet”

Physical Lesson :

Since I have started wearing a head covering in obedience I have become more pliable to the idea of the head covering and automatically reach for it. The head covering has assisted me in being more aware of the things unseen (spiritual realm) when praying.
I have never really considered by gender (while in prayer) before; however now that I am wearing the head covering, I am very aware of my gender and how my gender relates to Gods order.

 Prayer:

Father, thank you that despite the many distractions we have, You are always approachable and even hear the things we don’t say or forget to say, because of these many distractions. Help us to take our thoughts and emotions captive while in prayer with You.

In Jesus Name we pray…Amen!!!
  
*Hugs* till next time.

Ariéte





No comments:

Post a Comment