Tuesday 15 September 2015

Modern Day Samaritan Woman

A Test in Obedience – 31 Days

Head Covering / Prayer Room / Facing Giants

Day 7: EMOTIONAL SEE-SAW



Since I have started this challenge I have had a genuine desire to press in, and discover what I do not know about earnest intentional prayer. I also seriously desire to approach God with clean hands and conscience, but all too often during the past week, I have understood that despite my best intentions, my life and thoughts become contaminated by the things I see , hear and encounter during my day. These things have an influence on my emotions, which are sometimes a hindrance to intentional focused prayer.

The expression “Life Happens” is all too true and often as life is happening my emotions are all over the place. After, a difficult visit with my mother in the Home for Alzheimer’s, on Sunday morning, I returned home defeated and depressed. She was cranky and irritable, and furious at me for leaving her at the home. Feelings of guilt ran through my heart and mind for the remainder of the day. This is my mother and of course I want to do what is best for her and yet the guilt of placing her in a home gets to me every time.

This particular evening I struggled to separate my emotions from my intentions to pray intentionally and although I went through the motions, I wasn’t fooling myself, let alone God. When I gave up and lay down, I eventually began to realize that the enemy of my soul had “swept the rug out from under my feet” and diverted my emotions so completely that I could not pray effectively.

Ephesians 6:18 Be prepared. You’re up against far more than you can handle on your own. Take all the help you can get, every weapon God has issued, so that when it’s all over but the shouting you’ll still be on your feet. Truth, righteousness, peace, faith, and salvation are more than words. Learn how to apply them. You’ll need them throughout your life. God’s Word is an indispensable weapon. In the same way, prayer is essential in this on-going warfare. Pray hard and long. Pray for your brothers and sisters. Keep your eyes open. Keep each other’s spirits up so that no one falls behind or drops out.” The Message (MSG)

I started to understand the importance of 

exercising the discipline of prayer 

The enemy will frequently, use my circumstances and emotions to sabotage my prayer time. 
(Especially, since it clearly is so easy to do)

Thankfully, 1 Thessalonians 5:23-24 assures me that  …God himself, the God who makes everything holy and whole, make you holy and whole, put you together—spirit, soul, and body—and keep you fit for the coming of our Master, Jesus Christ. The One who called you is completely dependable. If he said it, he’ll do it!”
The Message (Emphasis my own)

Spiritual Lesson :

I need to press in, and strengthen the discipline of prayer.
It is imperative for my well-being in order to stand strong when the enemy tries to sweep the rug out from under my feet again.

Physical Lesson :

A heavy heart leads to a heavy spirit. This in turn leads to ineffective prayer.

 Prayer:

Father, guide us daily in the minefield we face daily between our circumstances and our emotions. Help us to be overcomers, strengthening our prayer disciplines so that we can be effective prayer's despite the circumstances we find ourselves in.

In Jesus Name we pray…Amen!!!
*Hugs* till next time.


Ariéte

No comments:

Post a Comment