Tuesday 6 October 2015


A Test in Obedience – 31 Days

Head Covering / Prayer Room / Facing Giants

Day 21 : DRIVEN OR CALLED

MOTIVATION



During my prayer time I was drawn to the question of my own personal motivation. Am I driven to succeed and accomplish a whole myriad of spiritual activities and disciplines, so I can line them up on the mantle-piece of my heart, and display them proudly, or am I called to simply pray earnestly and incompletely, simply meeting God in my need and humbly requesting His input in these things I bring to His attention?  

In other words!!!

Am I driven to pray or am I called to pray?

In both cases motivation is required, but the key lies in the type of motivation.

John 21:15[The Love Motivation] So when they had finished breakfast, Jesus said to Simon Peter, “Simon, son of John, do you love Me more than these [others do—with total commitment and devotion]?” He said to Him, “Yes, Lord; You know that I love You [with a deep, personal affection, as for a close friend].” Jesus said to him, “Feed My lambs.” (AMP) Emphasis my own

When I am driven to pray my focus falls on the need to pray well and perform more effectively. My motivation to adequately perform and be eloquent distracts me from “hearing”.

 When I am called to pray my focus falls on my Love for and obedience to Jesus.
The following question raised my eyebrows and I really had to think about it. “Do I use prayer to attempt to manipulate the spiritual realm to meet my own ends, like some magical formula, waving the name of Jesus around like a magic wand, or am I motivated by my love for Jesus to hear His commands and to perform that which He commands?

There is a fine line between the two and as a long standing Christian, I believe the tendency to slip from one to other is rather easy.

It appears that the giant I have to face in this regard is 

that of my own motivation.

Spiritual Lesson :

I learnt that I need to search my heart and question my motives when I bend my knees to pray. It’s very well, praying frequently and even wearing my head covering in obedience, but if I don’t consider my motivation then my prayers are pointless. In order to pray correctly and in line with God’s Word, my motivation must be selfless, rather to Hear His Will, than to manipulate the spirit realm or appease my conscience.

Physical Lesson:

During this 31 day challenge I have learnt several truths about myself, my prayer motivation and the purpose of the head covering. It’s been quite a sobering experience to date.

2 Corinthians 4:1-2 sums it up perfectlySince God has so generously let us in on what he is doing, we’re not about to throw up our hands and walk off the job just because we run into occasional hard times. We refuse to wear masks and play games. We don’t manoeuvre and manipulate behind the scenes. And we don’t twist God’s Word to suit ourselves. Rather, we keep everything we do and say out in the open, the whole truth on display, so that those who want to can see and judge for themselves in the presence of God.”  (The Message)

Prayer:

Precious Jesus, Forgive us when we have incorrectly used Your Name while praying, in order to meet our own agendas and our own needs. Help us to discern our motivations when we pray and guide us towards Your Will…

In Jesus Name we pray…Amen!!!

*Hugs* till next time.

Ariéte







No comments:

Post a Comment